Glencadam distillery information
Founded in 1825 by George Cooper, the Glencadam distillery is located near the Eastern coast of the Scottish Highlands, about a mile outside the royal Burgh of Brechin in Angus. The name Glencadam roughly translates into “Glen of the wild goose”. In 1827, the distillery was taken over by David Scott. It would remained in his hands 10 years, closing down in 1937. In 1852, Alexander Miln Thomson revived the distillery.5 years later, Glencadam Distillery Co. was formed. For a short period, the distillery was run by Wallace & Scott, who most likely rented it from the company, as did James Ferguson & Sons from 1890 to 1891.
In 1891, Glencadam was acquired by Gilmour, Thomson & Co. Ltd., blenders from Glasgow. During both world wars, like many other distilleries, Glencadam was shut down. In 1954, it was purchased and renovated by Hiram Walker & Sons (who also purchased Scapa in the same year, and went on to buy Old Pulteney and Balblair the year after). Two years later, Hiram Walker was bought by Allied Lyons. The distillery was fitted with 2 new stills in 1959. In 2000 Allied decided to mothball the distillery because they were facing overproduction.
It remained closed until 2003, when Angus Dundee Distillers plc purchased and restarted the distillery, In 2007, they installed a large blending plant at Glencadam.
Most Glencadam was used in blending until in 2005, the first Single Malt was introduced. Currently the core range consists of:
- 10 Years
- 12 Years Portwood Finish
- 14 Years Oloroso Cask finish
- 15 Years Old
- 21 Years Old
- Single Cask
|Water source||Springs at The Moorans|
|Owned by||Angus Dundee|
+44 (0) 1356 622217
|Mash tun||4.9 tonnes||1|
|Washback||28,000 litres||6 (Stainless steel)|
|Wash still||12,600 litres||1|
|Spirit Still||12,260 litres||1|
|Expected yearly output in LPA (Litres of pure alcohol)||1,400,000|